On Friday Jeff and I decided that the kids needed a field trip. They are usually pretty good being at home during the summer with all the stuff we can do outside, but they we getting on our nerves lately! It had been awhile since we had checked out the zoo so we headed there. I drove and got a bit lost with all the construction that goes on in the summer, so it took a little while longer to get there then intended. However, we picked up some Taco Bell and the kids settled down a bit with their car picnic. By the time we got to the zoo Savannah turned herself into a cinnamon twist and was sticky and sweet, but happy.
It was a pretty nice day to go, plenty of people, but not as bad as the weekend. I always get a little depressed with the Como Zoo because the animals are in such small habitats. The gorilla was especially depressing. He was just sitting in his indoor cage looking so sad, I wonder if he realizes how sucky it is to be stuck in this one room with thousands of people gawking at you.... it was just very depressing. Anyway, we moved on from that sad site to see the African animals, which were less depressing than usual since they were outside rather than in their inside 10 by 10 cage. The girls were of course most fascinated with the "Big Cats" and the sea lion "Sparky".
We than headed over to the ride area that they have so wonderfully built to entice kids and annoy all parents with spending more money than intended. The girls got to each pick a couple of rides to go on , actually as a reward for being patient for sitting a while in the shade when I felt like I was going to pass out from the heat (a great side effect from being both pregnant and anemic). With a big bag of cotton candy we explored all of the options available to the girls. Piper first picked the swings, which she loved. Then we headed over to the little cars that just go in a circle. Riley, being a huge chicken wanted to try this one out, also we decided Savannah was big enough to go on with her big sisters. So, they all crammed into one car and Savannah had the best time ever ( it was her very first carnival ride ) she laughed and giggled the whole time. I think the big girls enjoyed it the most too, seeing how happy it made Savannah. I did get a picture on my phone and it is pretty good, I just don't know how to transfer it. After that Piper went on the tornado, but it sorta sucked because she was too short to turn the middle wheel. Then Riley and Piper (Piper getting an extra ride due to her bad luck on the last one) went on the favorite "Frog Hopper".
We then headed to the Butterfly tent and enjoyed the quiet calming atmosphere of that garden. It smelled so good and was so relaxing, however the girls were a little freaked out of a butterfly (its still a bug) landing on them. After that it was time to head out, being a full good day overall.
The kids enjoyed it, we enjoyed it, and Savannah got her first ride, so the day was a success, always a good way to end the week.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Como Zoo
Posted by Andrea Ruch at 8:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








3 comments:
Sounds like a great trip to the zoo! And yeah, that Como Town is a money sucker :)
I have been wanting to hit up the Como Zoo soon also, sounds like fun:)
I totally agree. Parts of Como can be pretty depressing. At least the kids have many years of Zoo fun before they figure that out;-)
~Les
Post a Comment